Friday, January 25, 2013

Many Single Crochets Ago...

Hi there blogging world!
I love blogs, I love following people who write good blogs about their families, food, crafts, and teaching ideas.  I even tried to start a blog about my kids and failed royally!  (By the way if you want to see a great blog about some one's kids you should see my SIL! She is a great blog writer)  The purpose of this blog is to share my new passion obsession for crocheting.  I am hoping to encourage others to pick it up and maybe even sell an item or two.  Trust me I am no expert, I am only a year into this adventure, but I am truly loving it.  The true question is how does one get started with such a hobby.  Here is my story...

When I was younger I LOVED spending time in my Great Grandma's basement.  She was always knitting, crocheting, or sewing something.  I remember sitting on her plastic covered couch and listening to her tell stories as her hands moved at a feverish pace.  She always promised she would teach me when I was old enough.  Sadly she passed away when I was 9 before she got the chance.  After that, I always thought about learning and admired the work of others who did but never picked up a hook myself.  My mom taught me to sew (that is a whole other blog) but I always wanted to create with yarn. 

About a year ago, I decided to finally try and teach myself.  So I went to Wal-Mart and bought one of those "I can't believe I taught myself to crochet in one day" type of books.  Now they may work for some people but NOT for me.  So I turned to youtube and fell in love with a couple of amazing youtube instructors.  I started with a few basic stitches and made my first blanket (epic fail! totally crooked) and felt very proud. 

This past winter I have finally moved beyond, "if I can find it on youtube I can make it" to reading basic patterns!  Now what started as a little hobby has turned into a full blown obsession!  My husband will tell you I spend more time counting crochet stitches than talking to him. :)  For me making items for others is relaxing and rewarding.  I have loved seeing others admiring and excited about what I have made.  This Christmas I did a handmade holiday and crocheted gifts for the entire family.  It was a lot of fun.

As a special education teacher, I have also brought this love of yarn into my classroom!  Two of my students are learning to loom knit and are making their first hats and scarves.  They are loving it too!  So please stop by often, check out things I have made that will be for sale, tips I have learned along the way, and links to great tutorials and teachers. 

Happy Hooking!
Katie:)

2 comments:

  1. Love the blog, Katie! Look forward to seeing more. (I'm a blog lover myself.) Thanks for the shout out, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie! I am sure I will be looking for lots of blogging advice! We will see where this takes me!!

      Delete